Ants can be frustrating to deal with when they are invading your living space, especially when they are marching through food areas. The best form of action is to prevent a situation from ever happening by eliminating potential attractants.
So what are some aspects of your home that could be attracting ants? Let’s investigate!
Ants can also be found in bedrooms, inside walls, in living rooms and basements and even in air conditioning and heating units, but kitchens and bathrooms tend to be the most vulnerable locations for ants, so we will concentrate on those rooms.
Ant Attractants in the Kitchen
- Left over crumbs and spills
- Grease spills on the counter-tops and floors
- Sweet staples such as syrup, honey (especially sticky bottles) and sugar left out on counter-tops
- Fruit bowls-Over ripe fruit is an ant attractant
- Empty juice and soda containers
- Water sources
Ant Attractants in the Bathroom
Ants, especially carpenter ants, are drawn to areas with excess moisture; this makes bathrooms an attractive place for infestation.
- Leaking sinks, tubs, toilets and plumbing
- Open shampoo, lotion and soap containers
Ways to Reduce the Chance of an Ant Infestation
- Clean up food messes. If you’re lax about cleaning up in the kitchen, you may be supplying ants with a food source.
- Rinse out containers and take the trash out regularly
- Check and repair the sinks, tubs, toilets, plumbing for water buildup and plumbing leaks
- Seal cracks and crevices, repair screens on doors and windows and replace weather-stripping to prevent ants from entering your home
- Keep tree branches trimmed away from your home
Ant colonies can be large so it may be best to contact a licensed pest management professional if you think you have an ant issue.
At Safeway Pest Management, our technicians are licensed and trained to inspect and treat ants. Call us at our Muskego office at 262-679-4422, our Oconomowoc office at 262-354-3444, our Oshkosh office at 920-385-0412 or toll free at 800-956-0800
You can also visit our website at www.safewaypest.net and check out our current specials while you’re there!