Your Fall Pest-Proofing Checklist
With autumn right around the corner, and insects soon ready to find the warmth around your home, this is the best time to check off some chores from your fall pest-proofing checklist! Below are some preparations you can make to your home to prevent pests from invading your home this fall and winter.
- Inspect your home for any cracks and entry point holes, paying close attention to the sunny-sides of your home as those sides (the south and west sides) are more attracting to pests looking for warmth. Seal up any you holes you may find with caulk and/or steel wool. For an extra dose of protection, check around pipes and utility entry areas for entry points as well.
- Pests are attracted to moisture. Keep areas such as basements, attics and crawlspaces ventilated and moisture-free. The use of a dehumidifier will aid in keeping your basement dry.
- Clean up leaves and outdoor debris. Trim back any branches or shrubbery around the house. Branches can become insect roadways into your home.
- Check and repair any screen damage.
- Install door sweeps to eliminate an entry point for insects and moisture.
- Clean debris out of gutters.
- Seal out moisture, drafts and insects by replacing weather stripping around doors and windows.
- If you’re chopping up firewood for the winter, store it at least 20 feet away from your home.
- Treat yourself to a fall treat for your pest-proofing preparedness!
Our licensed and certified pest specialists can inspect your home for you and treat your home if need be. Call Safeway Pest Management at 262-679-4422 or 800-956-0800.
You can also visit our website at www.safewaypest.net