The trees are changing, the weather is cooling and you can now relax because those summer insects will soon be gone, right? Unfortunately, that is not the case. Although some summertime invaders will soon be a distant memory, others will be seeking a cozy and warm place to spend the winter.
There are two important key points to remember in pest proofing 101. First, you want to keep pests from invading and entering your home and secondly, you want to avoid making your home inviting for any pests that do find a way inside by eliminating food and water sources.
The number one thing on your to-do list is to inspect your home.
- Look for cracks and entry point holes and seal up any you may find. Pay close attention to the sunny-sides of your home as those sides (the south and west sides) are more attracting to pests looking for warmth. Also check around pipes and utility entry areas for entry points.
- Check all doors and windows. Check for cracks, check screens to make sure they are free of holes and are tight fitting. Install door sweeps where needed.
Some other helpful pest prevention tips:
- Use containers with tight fitting lids in storage areas. Reduce clutter and store containers off of the floor.
- Clean up leaves and outdoor debris. Trim back any branches or shrubbery around the house.
- Store your garbage in sealed containers, and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep outdoor grilling areas and indoor food areas clean and free of food debris. Store food in airtight containers.
- Eliminate water sources.
- Keep bird feeders away from your home. Check into squirrel guards to keep wildlife at bay.
If you are in need of professional service, or if you’d like assistance in inspecting your home, call Safeway Pest Management at our Muskego office at 262-679-4422, our Oconomowoc office at 262-354-3444 or toll free at 800-956-0800 or visit us on the web at http://www.safewaypest.net