Holiday fun can come to a quick halt when unwanted insects or rodents bust in on the festivities. Below are some common holiday pest-related issues and some advice on how to avoid problems before they ruin your jolly spirit.
The Christmas Tree
If you’re bringing in a live tree, shake off the branches and check for insects and/or rodent nests.
Before decorating, check all cardboard boxes outside of the home in case insects or rodents have made a home in boxes.
Tip: To prevent future pesky box residents, keep decorations in sealed plastic containers or bins instead of cardboard boxes.
Food and waste is what pests love the most. Keep food stored in seal-tight containers, even during festivities when between meals and snacks.
Throw away any garbage.
Wipe up any spills.
Tip: Pests even love food drippings, so wipe off the outside of those storage containers for an extra ounce of prevention.
These tips will help keep you pest free all year round!
- Store firewood at least five feet off the ground and at least 20 feet from your home
- Screens can be installed over attic fans, chimney vents and other openings
- Seal cracks and holes on the exterior of your home
- Replace weather-stripping around windows
- Inspect wiring and insulation for any signs of chewing and gnawing
- Call a professional if need be
Safeway Pest Management is licensed, certified, knowledgeable and available to answer any questions or help with treatment of your pest problems. Please call our office at 262-679-4422 or 800-956-0800 or visit us on the web at http://www.safewaypest.net.